|Full Name||SEYOUM MENGIST|
|Address||Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)|
|Telephone(s)||Mobile +251-0911- 893-675|
|Date of birth||15/09/1981|
I am Expert in Agriculture and Rural Development with 10 years of experience in teaching, research, development and project engagement. My roles in the past embraces (1) Company Manager to JAAJ Consultancy, responsible for the overall managerial activities at the company in addition to participated in different consulting assignments (2) Innovator at Addis Ababa University-Wageningen University joint Project named CASCAPE, involved on capacity building in Ethiopian agriculture to scaling up evidence based best practices. (3) Researcher at Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research, engaged in agricultural technology development, demonstration and scaling up. (4) Instructor at Ministry of Agriculture ATVET College, teaching activities as well as leading departments, principal college registrar and member of the college academic commission.
I have managed my own active twitter and weblog to generate contents and sharing information specializes on agriculture, rural development, food security and climate change in Ethiopia. Besides I have proficient skill in computer applications including Microsoft offices, statistical packages, AV applications, and web based information management platforms.
Degefa Tolossa (Ph.D)
Assistant Professor of Geography and Development Studies
Dean of Institute of Development Studies
Addis Ababa University
Phone: +251 0911899660 (mobile) +251 0113496916(home)
He was my professor and supervisor.
Feyera Senbeta (Ph.D)
Assistant professor of Ecology & Natural Resource Management, Chair of Centre for Environment and Development;
Addis Ababa University
Phone: +251 0911837277 (mobile)
He was my professor and supervisor.
Festum Sahelemariam (Msc.)
Former Center director / Assosa research center
Ethiopian institute of agricultural research
He was my supervisor.
Company Manager (5/1/2016 – To Date)
JAAJ Business & Investment P.L.C, Ethiopia
Responsible for overall management of the company, representing the company at different stage, made agreement and business deals with private and public contractors as well as managing bank checks and other related tasks.
Consultancy work I was involved:
- Assessment of warehouse recipient system, ECX-WRS in Ethiopia (HESPI)
- Ethiopian off-grid and on-grid energy mapping (DFID )
- Book editing “Ethiopian climate resilient and green development policy, Amharic Document”.
Agricultural Extension and Rural Development Expert (13/09/2012 – 30/12/2015)
Addis Ababa University-Wageningen University joint Project, CASCAPE, Ethiopia
Facilitate multi-stakeholders platforms in the agricultural innovation system, technical support to public agricultural experts, documentation of the best practices, on farm action-research, drivers for up scaling of successful agricultural innovations, capacity building training, project-MEL, documentation and knowledge management at project level, and focal person for MONQI ( computer based farm monitoring for quality and improvement research model).
Socio-Economic Researcher (01/01/2008 – 20 /01/2011)
Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research-EIAR, Ethiopia
capacity building ToT, technology scaling up, adoption study, technology verification, demonstration, value chain development, socio economic survey, impact assessments, facilitating regional stakeholders platforms, M&E and chair ICT development. In addition to my duties that based on the research center, I was working in a team organized for facilitating technology scaling up in Gambella and Benishangul-Gumuz region states for RCBP-WB project.
College Lecturer (07/10/2004 – 31/12/2007)
Ministry of Agriculture, Ethiopia
Teaching agricultural courses and curriculum revision, head of basic science department, principal college registrar (managing students’ overall academic database), member of college academic commission were I have participate in the weekly academic commission meeting for major decisions regarding college academic issues.
MSC Development studies from center of Food security Studies (10/02/2011- 1/07/2012)
Addis Ababa University
Focused on Issues on food security concept, natural resource management, agriculture, water, food system, marketing, nutrition, Food policy, DRM, human nutrition and project management
BSc Agricultural Science, Agricultural Extension (01/01/2000 – 08/08/2004)
Focused on Agricultural communication, participatory approaches, rural development, agricultural marketing, agro forestry, farming system research, gender in development, agricultural information systems, agricultural project planning, program evaluation and analysis.
|1||Livelihoods Assessment and Analysis||2015||UN FAO|
|2||Introductory Course on Climate Change||2015||UNITAR|
|3||Extension Manual Writing||2015||Wageningen Univ|
|4||Integrated Farm Management||2014||Wageningen Univ|
|5||Technology Scaling Up and Scaling Out||2014||Wageningen Univ|
|6||Economic, Preference and Value Chain Analysis||2013||Wageningen Univ|
|7||MonQI Farm Monitoring||2013||Wageningen Univ|
|8||Soil Nutrient Management||2013||Wageningen Univ|
|9||Integrating Human Nutrition in Agriculture Dev||2013||Wageningen Univ|
|10||PRA, Multi-Stake Holder Process & Project Planning||2012||Wageningen Univ|
|11||Web 2.0 for Agricultural Development||2011||ILRI and CTA|
|12||Agriculture Knowledge Fair Africa||2010||CGIAR/ILRI|
English: TOEFL – 553 /2010/, IELTS – Above 6 in 2011 given by AAU and British council. English was also Media of Instruction for my under graduate and post graduate class in Haramaya and Addis Ababa University.
Blogger in the areas of food security, research for development, agricultural and rural issues, ICT4Dev, early warning and disaster management and issues on climate change mitigation & adaptions in rural Africa.
Excellent knowledge on computer- offices, statistical packages (SPSS), audiovisual graphic Software and with social networking and collaborative writing tools including Google doc, flicker, YouTube, blogs, twitter and Google map, online collaboration with different international teams
RESEARCH & PUBLICATION
Christy van Beek, E. Elias ,S. Yihenew, A Heesmans. H. Tsegaye, Feyisa M. Tolla , M. Melmuye , Gebremeskel, Seyoum Mengist.2016.Soil nutrient balances under diverse agro-ecological settings in Ethiopia. Journal: Nutrient Cycling in Agro-ecosystems, (Springer), 1-18.DOI 10.1007/s10705-016-9803-0 Ctrl-click for the link
Christy van Beek, Paul, Römkens, Yihenew G, Selassie, Eyasu Elias, Hanneke Heesmans, Irene Koomen, Abdurahman Uyu, Asrat Tsegaye, Feyisa Hundessa, Mekonnen Tolla, Melkamu Melmuye, Seada Yassin, Seyoum Mengist, Wondwosen Bekele and Yemane Gebremeskel. 2015. Environmental sustainability in CASCAPE. CASCAPE technical report. Ctrl-click for the link
Bekele Gemechu, Ayana Etana, Seyoum Mengist, Feyera Senbeta & DegefaTolossa.2015. Best Fit Practice Manual for Wheat Production Technologies in Becho Woreda, Central Oromia. Addis Ababa University.
Afework Hagos, Regassa Dibaba, Seyoum Mengist, Endeshaw Habte and Dawit Alemu.2008.Source, Availability and Use of Agricultural Information and Innovation in Benishangul Gumuz Region. Ethiopian institute of agricultural research, proceeding of 2nd annual professional conference of the Ethiopian society of rural development and agricultural extension. 12 October, 2015.Hilton Hotel, Addis Ababa Ctrl-click for the link
Seyoum mengist. 2012. Contribution of Maize Technology to Household Food Security: The case of Assosa Woreda in Benishangul-Gumuz Region: Ethiopia. Lamburt academic publisher: Germany. Ctrl-click for the link
Kalkidan assefa, seyoum mengist , fistum s/mariam and yonas degefu.2012 .Assessment of Agricultural Technology Scaling up in Assosa zone: the case of improved maize/teff/finger millet/soybean/ground nut/potato/ and forage technologies. (unpublished )
Afework H., Seyoum mengist.,Yonas D., and Hailemarim S..2012. Participatory evaluation and selection of maize and Teff improved varieties through Farmer Research and Extension Groups (FREG) at Assosa Zone in Benishangul-Gumuz Regional State.
Degefa Tolossa, Feyera Senbeta, Bechaye Tesfaye, Bekele Gemachu, Belayneh Zeleke, Michael Tariku, Seada Yasin, Seyoum Mengist.2015. Participatory Rural Appraisal Report for Bako, Becho, Gimbichu, Girar Jarso and Munesa Woreda
- Bako Woreda, East Shewa Zone, Central Oromia Region; CASCAPE Working Paper 2.1.1, April 2015. Wageningen University. Ctrl-click for the link
- Becho Woreda, East Shewa Zone, Central Oromia Region; CASCAPE Working Paper 2.1.2, April 2015. Wageningen University. Ctrl-click for the link
- Gimbichu Woreda, East Shewa Zone, Central Oromia Region; CASCAPE Working Paper 2.1.3, April 2015. Wageningen University. Ctrl-click for the link
- Girare Jarso Woreda, East Shewa Zone, Central Oromia Region; CASCAPE Working Paper 2.1.4, April 2015. Wageningen University. Ctrl-click for the link
- Munesa Woreda, East Shewa Zone, Central Oromia Region; CASCAPE Working Paper 2.1.5, April 2015. Wageningen University. Ctrl-click for the link
Degefa Tolosaa, Feyera Senbeta, Michael Tariku, Seyoum Mengist.2015. Drivers for adoption of agricultural technology in central highlands of Oromia; CASCAPE working paper ( to be published)
Seyoum mengist, Degefa Tolossa, Feyera Senbeta, , Bekele Gemachu, Belayneh Zeleke, Michael Tariku, Seada Yasin, Gemechu Nemi .2015.Analysis of Household and Plot Level Farm Performance and Nutrition Balance by using MonQI model In Central Highland Of Oromia, Ethiopia. CASCAPE AAU.
Achievements and Awards
- Being an Instructors and appointment in different position at the earlier stage of my career helps me to exploit my potential , working as a team as well as independently for producing outputs with short deadlines and hardships, moreover I was closely work with student groups to engaged them with extracurricular activities.
- Having a role in the introduction of soybean production to Assoa and Kamashi Zones of Benishangul Gumuz Regional state, starting with number of farmers field currently soybean shared significant size of agricultural lands in the regions. Soybean farm improves degraded agricultural lands, household nutritional diversity and household income from premium market price.
- Serving at different managerial positions shapes my managerial skill in the process and completed my appoints with great achievements.
- My Blog was short listed as top 10 personal blogs managed by young agricultural exerts in an international competition made by CTA, I believe contents generated by my micro-website covers pertinent issues in the field and so far visited by 20, 000 people.
- I have successfully collaborated with international experts as member of social media team for covering international workshops and events.